This page has moved to a new address.

Outfit of the Day: Feathers and Flowers

Curvy Canadian: Outfit of the Day: Feathers and Flowers

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Outfit of the Day: Feathers and Flowers

Hey Guys!

I wore this outfit to teach a couple of days back. I really love this hat, which I found at a thrift store, after it had inexplicably been relinquished by its original owner... Why someone would get rid of this I have no idea - it's absolutely amazing. It's in perfect condition and looks as though it's never been worn. I have the most luck at thrift stores!

The lace top is something I picked up from Wal-Mart's G21 section. They actually go up to a 2X now, which is fantastic. I find most of the George stuff to be a bit too old-fashioned/not cute, but I am always seeing stuff I like in the G21 section. I wandered in there when Peter was browsing in the electronics section one day and I noticed that they had bumped up their sizes to the 2X, which made me happy. When they used to have 725 Originals, they had a full range of inclusive plus sizes, which I loved. Then, when they changed their private label brand to George (for middle-ish aged women) and G21 (an unmistakeable reference to another brand with 21 in its name, geared toward the younger generation), they did away with the plus sizes on their "younger" brand, and only offered plus sizes for George. I used to like George + more, but I find that the quality has really gone down lately, and the selection of items offered in the plus range are getting more and more matronly, which is why I am really glad to see Wal-Mart extend the sizing of their more youthful line. I would love to see Wal-Mart offer up to a 3 or even 4X, much like they did when 725 Originals was around. But I really love this lace top, which was rather economically priced at $9. The XXLs sell out pretty quickly, so make sure you buy as soon as you see something you like, or you are bound to be disappointed. One other quibble I have is that the G21 bikinis only go up to an XL. But the tankinis and the one-pieces go up to an XXL. I want some bikini love too! Not just Tankinis. BIKINIS. My stomach, too, would like to see the light of day. I hope Wal-Mart will begin to sell bikinis in at least an XXL. I went to Old Navy this past weekend to try some on as well, but the only bikinis in XXL were the drab gray ones. :( I guess I am going to have to buy online for that... I also got a skirt from G21 with an awesome bird print on it that I will share with you in my next Outfit of the Day post. The really nice people behind the @WalmartCanada twitter helped locate it for me and reroute it to a nearby store. I saw it in Lou Lou Magazine and I absolutely had to have it, but like 3 of the stores that were the closest to me were all sold out. So I was really pleased they were able to help.

Anyway, without further ado, my outfit:

Shoes and Lace Top - Wal-Mart/Tights - Courtesy of We Love Colors/Skirt, Necklace and Bolero - Forever 21+/Belt - Dots/Hat - Vintage from the thrift store

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:47:00 AM , Blogger MichaelaEng said...

I think Wal Mart has always had plus sizes, even the juniors always went up to 2x, though still tiny haha. You look great!

 
At Friday, March 23, 2012 7:58:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look wonderful! Can I ask you a question, though? You look like you are short-waisted, as I am. If I wear a fairly wide belt like the one you have on, it's okay when I am standing, but cuts into my tummy or ribcage when I sit down. Do you have that problem? Or am I doing something wrong? I absolutely love your blog, by the way!

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:00:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

Hey anon!

Thanks! I think maybe you might be getting the wrong size? I had problems with that too until I found belts at a store that sold the right size for me. You also have to make sure that the buckle isn't too big/pokey. Hope that helps!

Karen

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:20:00 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

Great blog. So excited to find this site.
I am looking for 3/4 leggings in cotton/lycra. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Theresa

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:20:00 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Monday, March 26, 2012 12:06:00 AM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

Hi Theresa! Welcome! I'm glad you found me here. I always buy my leggings from Forever 21. They're like $7, and they're pretty durable. If they're all out, you could try Torrid. They have some pretty decent leggings, but I think they're closer to $20, which I always think is too expensive! Then you add shipping... Forever 21 is probably your best bet!

 
At Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:55:00 AM , Blogger Wait Until The Sunset said...

oh awesome! That hat is mad!! :)

 
At Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:21:00 PM , Blogger PensiveFashionista said...

This is such a cute outfit. I love the skirt and the addition of the belt.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2012 12:05:00 AM , Blogger annpaige said...

I love your rights and your skirt is adorable. Nice to see another Canadian blogger!!! Now following you, follow back?

xoxo
annpaige
http://annpaigefashion.blogspot.com

 
At Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:57:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't bother with G21 bikinis. I got 3 of them and tried one out. The stitching on it started undoing itself first wear. Since I already wore it, I can't return it and Walmart only gave me a partial refund. Don't recommend.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home